Monday, April 14, 2008

Instant Infatuation


Hey there, it's me and it's time for a rant.

As an aninmation student at SBIT I check in fairly reguarly with the blog kept by one of my teachers. He posts a few rants, links to animated clips and some helpful sites. Recently though he linked to this clip;

http://www.videology-tv.com/viewclip.php?id=100 (be warned, it may take some time to load)
Tais-Toi Mon Coeur. It is simply beautiful.

I am in awe of this music video, the whole thing makes me feel all warm and tingly inside. To me it's a sure sign that even contemporary 3D productions dont have to be the disney/pixar cartoony style to be incredibly awesome. Ian (the teacher who runs the blog) has often said that 3d doesnt have to have a certain preset 'look' and I agree.

The way that the animators have imitated stop motion for this clip is amazing. Everything that I have ever liked in a film is packed in here; meaningfull camera work, backgrounds aiding in the storytelling, A STORY (that's right, music vids dont have to be bikini girls gyrating to the latest pop hit!) and incredibily effiecint and effective character designs as well as superb acting and use of timing.

The only thing I can fault is the pacing. The clip starts gorgeously, by the first chorus the film is moving quite swiftly. After that though, it does slow down a tad too much. When the chorus rocks around again though, its back to full swing. I think if the director had found a better way to depict the transformation of the male character, ie; faster pacing, less of the 'lingering' shots ( one or two is more than enough and decreasing the amount may even increase the potency of such shots), the peice could have been as close to perfect as I would ever admit.

Overall, I have found an example of 3D animation that is inspiring to me, seeing it makes me want to get up and scream 'HELL YES, 3D KICKS ARSE!'. So now back I go to my major project for this year, a 3d peice that I will strive to make as worthy a rival that of 'Tais-toi mon coeur' (be silent my heart, in english) as I can.

Thank you and good night.

1 comment:

frank said...

The lingering? Of course! He is French.

An Australian animator like your evil self most likely would have the pacing loitering.